Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Banana, Lemon & Passionfruit Guilt-Free Ice Cream

Guilt-Free Banana, Lemon & Passionfruit Ice Cream 2

Could there be any better thing than eating ice cream for breakfast ... absolutely guilt-free?  I think not.  Now of course you could eat this for dessert, but personally I don't really see the point of dessert without a little guilt.  Dessert is, in my view, a time to indulge in every guilty pleasure imaginable and hang the consequences.  I'm sorry but phrases like "low-fat", "sugar-free", "dairy-free", "guilt-free" and, heaven forbid, "healthy alternative" are just not going to cut it for me when it comes to dessert.

On the other hand, if I can indulge in something that is tantamount to dessert for breakfast, without a shred of guilt .... well, that really does it for me.  And this ice cream fits the bill perfectly.  It is really nothing more than banana, yoghurt and vanilla extract - a frozen smoothie, if you like.  I love the fact that, with just a tiny bit of forward planning, you can sit up to a big bowl of this in the morning, and then go off to work with the double satisfaction of just having eaten ice cream and knowing you've had a good breakfast.  Now that's what I call a win-win.

You will need a banana, of course, cut into thin slices.  Pop the sliced banana into a snap-lock bag, and freeze for a couple of hours - I usually do this when I get home from work.  Next, remove frozen banana pieces from the freezer and put into your blender.  Add yoghurt.  Thanks to the spoils of my NZ Food Bloggers Conference goodie bag, I used a combination of The Collective Dairy's Luscious Lemon (my new favourite) and Passionfruit, but any flavour you like that would complement banana is fine.  Lastly, add a good shot of good quality vanilla extract - again, thanks to that goodie bag I used Equagold Tahitian Vanilla Syrup.  Blitz everything up in the blender until smooth, then return to the freezer to firm up.  I usually blend this up just before I go to bed, and then dig into a bowl of ice cream perfection when I get up in the morning.

NZFBA Conference Sponsors

Hope you give this a try.  There's something about indulging in ice cream for breakfast that makes me sail through my morning with a smug sense of satifaction .... you know that feeling you get when you feel as though you've done something a bit naughty and managed to get away with it.  Don't tell me that you don't know that feeling.

Guilt-Free Banana, Lemon & Passionfruit Ice Cream 1

Guilt-Free Banana, Lemon & Passionfruit Ice Cream Recipe
Makes one very generous serving
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

1x banana
1/4 cup Luscious Lemon yoghurt *
1/4 cup Passionfruit yoghurt *
* or substitute flavour of your choice
1 tablespoon vanilla syrup

Note:  If using natural, unsweetened yoghurt,
I suggest adding a tablespoon or two of honey

Cut banana into thin slices, place in a snaplock bag, and freeze for a couple of hours.

Put frozen banana slices into blender, together with yoghurt and vanilla syrup.

Blend until completely smooth.

Put into plastic container and return to freezer to firm up.

I'm sharing this post with Sweet New Zealand, a monthly blog event created by the very lovely Alessandra Zecchini, and which I'm thrilled to be hosting this month right here at Couscous & Consciousness. This is an opportunity for all Kiwi bloggers (whether you are living in New Zealand or overseas), as well as for non-Kiwi bloggers living in New Zealand, to connect and share some of those sweet treats from your kitchen.  So, head on over here to share something sweet.

Sweet New Zealand Badge A

16 comments:

  1. Thanks Sue I really enjoy the blog. Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream for breakfast works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes breakfast for me too!!! and lunch and dessert and afternoon snack!!

    I love the idea and what a perfect way to start Sweet NZ!!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're clearly a woman after my own heart, Alessandra xo

      Delete
  4. Lovely Sue, I need higher temps for ice cream but it sure does look good. I'm hooked on the DC Nommy Nana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice cream for breakfast! If I served this to my kids, they would look at me in disbelief, then quickly dig in before I change my mind! LOL! Looks delicious and healthy too! Thanks for sharing, Sue! I would love to have this for my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce - and isn't it nice to know you could actually give your kids ice cream for breakfast without winning the "bad mother of the year" award :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, you are braver than me to be eating frozen yoghurt for breakfast. I prefer to settle into my no wheat, no sugar muffin instead! I agree with you about the healthy/low/no that gets added to desserts and baking. the truth is we should embrace the sweetness like any other yummy food and moderate our intake. Will definitely be trying this when the weather warms up and for a sweet rush watching the sun go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, even if you can't face this at sun-up, Julie, it's still just as good at sun-down :-)

      Delete
  7. Like the sound of this, although like Domestic Executive I would have to try later in the day. I've converted to The Collective's range of yogurt and yogurt drinks - so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Collective Dairy range is great isn't it - I'm totally hooked on the luscious lemon.

      Delete
  8. Yummy! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.