Saturday, March 16, 2013

Harissa

Harissa 3

Looks can be deceptive.  Those who know me will have discovered that I exude (most of the time anyway) an air of outward-calm.  It seems that very little ruffles my pretty little feathers.  And for the most part that would be true.  But on occasion, some well-disguised inner turmoil and fear lurks.  For example, lately I've gotten to worrying that you may be bored with all the tomato stuff I've been sharing in recent weeks - after all four out of the last five posts about tomatoes is possibly a little tiresome for even my most ardent of followers.  So even though I am longing to share my tomato basil jam and tomato tarts with you, today I will give you something a little different.

I had never really heard of harissa, until a few years back when I started to get interested in Moroccan food and it seemed to crop up as an ingredient in many of the dishes I discovered.  As such, I took it for granted that it was something of a Moroccan household staple.  So it was interesting to learn, that although this may be the case these days, harissa is actually Tunisian in origin.  Essentially, it is a hot chilli paste, flavoured with other herbs and spices, and used as an ingredient in meat, fish and vegetable dishes.  I suppose in many ways, as garam masala is to the Indians, so harissa is to the Tunisians and Moroccans, and every household will have their own recipe for it.

I've come across many recipes for it both on the internet and in books, one of my favourite being that found in Moro East by Sam and Sam Clark (one of my favourite cookbooks), and their recipe is my principle inspiration.  I've played around with a lot of these recipes, tweaked them here and there, to find the combination of herbs and spices that I like, and this is the result.

You can also play around with whatever combination of peppers and chillies you might like to use for this.  I've made it on occasion with bottled roasted peppers and frozen chillies in the winter when fresh ones aren't around;  I've made it using only dried chillies (about a cupful soaked in warm water to soften).  You can use whatever kind of chillies and peppers you like to get your desired amount of heat;  also please yourself whether you leave seeds in or take them out.

This time around I used eight of these largish, slightly spicy, but not too hot chillies, from which I discarded all the seeds, plus four long, skinny, much hotter chillies with the seeds retained.  My resulting harissa definitely has a slight kick, but not agressively so, and it provided just the right amount of heat in the fish tagine I added it to.

Harissa 1

This makes quite a big quantity, considering that you would normally only use a tablespoon or two at a time in any given dish.  It will keep in the fridge for about a week, but freezes well.  I put it into little snaplock bags (a couple of heaped tablespoons in each bag) and then stash them in the freezer - perfect for taking out just exactly the right amount for an instant Moroccan dinner.

Harissa 2

Harissa Recipe
Inspired by recipe from Sam & Sam Clark
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

8x large, not too hot chillies, or red peppers
4x hot chillies
1x tomato
3 teaspoons caraway seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
4x cloves garlic, roughly chopped
juice of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons olive oil
flaky sea salt

Roast chillies and peppers over a naked flame (the barbeque is ideal), or in the oven, until the skins are blackened and blistered.  Remove from heat and put into a plastic bag and leave to cool completely.

Also roast the tomato until the skin is blackened and split.  Set aside to cool.

Roast the caraway, cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until lightly toasted and fragrant.  Remove from heat, allow to cool, and then grind to a powder either in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.

Remove chillies and peppers from the plastic bags and peel off the blackened skins - they will slip off easily.  Remove and discard seeds from larger chillies or peppers.  Leave seeds in smaller, hotter chillies depending on how much heat you want.  Roughly chop and put into a food processor.

Remove the skin from the tomato, chop roughly and add to the food processor.

Add the roughly chopped garlic, ground spices, paprika, lemon juice and olive oil to the other ingredients in the food processor.  Blitz up until you have a smooth paste.  Add a generous pinch of flaky sea salt, blitz again, taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.

22 comments:

  1. Me gusta esta salsa.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miju, and thanks for taking the time to visit. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. I love harissa too, but I always buy it in those tubes - will have to try making it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sasa, you totally have to try making this - so easy, so delicious, and of course much cheaper than buying, especially if you make loads when chillies and peppers are in season and stash it in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. This is a perfect recipe for Harissa, I love the stuff. It's so versatile, adds bite to most dishes without killing it in heat.

    Do you know how long it will keep. Even I would struggle to get through that large amount

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, you're absolutely right - it adds a bit of zing to things without overpowering. I like to mix it with yoghurt too and use as a marinade for chicken, fish and lamb.

      Will keep about 7-10 days in the fridge, but keeps for ages in the freezer.

      Delete
  4. This sauce sounds absolutely amazing, can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one will never, ever tire of tomatoes. But harissa is interesting to me too. I've seen it pop up in recipes here and there over the years--it's not an ingredient I can find locally though. With roasted peppers and smoked paprika, it sounds like a fabulous condiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can buy harissa as an ingredient here - usually in tubes or small jars - but homemade is much better I think. I know you enjoy these flavours, so I'm sure you'd like it.

      Delete
  6. This harissa looks lovely, super yum! And don't worry, I can never be tired of tomatoes, especially this summer, the crop was the best i have seen in years and I just wish that I planted more now, but in spring you never know if it is going to be a good or a bad year for tomatoes (and the last few years have been bad for me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alessandra. You're right, it's been an exceptional year for tomatoes and I wish that we'd planted more too. It was very exciting after such a terrible crop last year.

      Delete
  7. One of my favourites Sue, must get onto making a batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How will you ever find the time with everything you've got going on right now, Alli? Maybe you could delegate the harissa making to Phelan :-)

      Delete
  8. One of my favourites Sue, I must get onto making a batch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue,
    I have never tried Harissa but it has been on my list of to-try! A long list!
    Looks really good, sounds so flavourful with all the spices, and tomato and chillies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give it a try, Joyce. As someone who likes things a bit spicy, I know you'd love it.

      Delete
  10. Harissa is one of my favorite condiments though I've never tried to make it at home! Can't wait to try my hand at it the next time I run out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you've made it yourself Joanne you'll never look back

      Delete
  11. Harissa is so beautiful, but too hot for me.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, you can make a harissa which is quite mild just by adjusting the peppers and chillies you use. When I want quite a mild harissa, I use say 6 roasted red bell peppers, and a couple of fairly mild chillies with the seeds removed - you could even just use one. You end up with a harissa which is not too hot, and then using just say one tablespoon in a dish gives just a nice bit of flavour without much warmth at all.

      Delete
  12. Oh....this Harissa is beautiful. I love smoky flavors and the color is so pretty and vibrant. :) The spices you used are wonderful combinations too. Must be packed with flavors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.